LEAN Lite, presented by ITM Consulting, is a 2 day intensive practical course designed to provide an introduction and basic skills in LEAN 6-Sigma (LSS) implementation for Electronic Manufacturing and to facilitate initial improvement programs within the organization . It is targeted at leaders who can appreciate the benefits of significant improvements in efficiency and quality throughout their organizations and are considering using LEAN 6-Sigma as a system to make continuous improvements in their company’s operations.
This program is designed to allow leaders (managers, CEO’s, etc) to understand some of the basic principles and practical benefits of LEAN and it provides simple but effective tools to support successful implementation of real money saving (waste eliminating) projects. Specific tools for improving productivity will include Line Balancing and evaluations of Down-Time in automated assembly operations. To facilitate estimating financial benefits of potential improvement projects, a simple, spreadsheet based Cost Model of the manufacturing facility will be developed during the course. As part of the training, students will work through a small project of their own choosing within their own working environment, and complete the program by developing an expanded outline of future improvement projects, including Metrics, Action Items, and personnel assignments. ITM Staff will offer follow-up assistance on evaluating the implementation of these projects.
Teamwork is one of the foundations of LSS and will be emphasized and developed throughout the course in class exercises and project activities. This course will facilitate the empowerment of all employees, moving involvement and decision making to the lowest appropriate level. This has been found to be extremely helpful in developing a personnel and improving management structure; especially for small and medium-sized organization which are expanding their operations and work force.
Having taken the course and undertaken one or more projects, leaders will be motivated, including practical justifications for investments in time and training, to become Champions to expand the deployment of LEAN 6-Sigma techniques throughout their organizations, ultimately creating a comprehensive company-wide LSS Continuous Improvement Program.
The course consists of 2 full days, onsite at your facility and includes a combination of lectures, classroom examples, and practical exercises based on your own operations.
Presented by ITM Consulting and taught by two LSS Master Black Belts from the Dartmouth College LSS program.
Course Instructors: Dr. Ron Lasky and Jim Hall, Lean Six-Sigma Master Blackbelts
Duration: 2 days
PART I: Classroom: lectures & exercises
Introduction to LEAN 6-Sigma
- Fundamentals of Continuous Improvement Programs
- Team Concepts
- 6-sigma concepts
- Outline of DMAIC problem solving structure
- Success stories of LSS implementation
- Sustainability for Continuous Improvement
Simple LEAN Tools
- The 7 MUDA’S (Wastes)
- Flow Charts
- Layout Maps
- Attribute (counting) Data => PARETO charts
- SIPOC map (Suppliers, Inputs, Processes, Outputs, Customers)
- 6 Sigma very lite (SPC, Cp & Cpk, DOE example)
- Introduction to LEAN 6-Sigma
PART 2: Introductory in-plant project
- Student walk through w/ coaching
- Project definition
- Project execution: improvements, measurement plan, (specifics will depend on project chosen by students)
PART 3: In-Plant macro LSS evaluation
- In-Plant observations & coaching
- Summarize & organize observation
- Brainstorm possible projects / improvements
Develop deployment plan
PART 4: After completion of the 2-day course
Follow-up with ITM Instructors
- Project progress
- Fine-tuning and modifications
- Additional training requirements
Who Should Attend
- Managers concerned with the status quo and interested in investigating options for productivity improvement, performance enhancement and organizational change.
- Leaders considering embarking on a Lean and/or Six Sigma strategy and are in a position to become Champions of implementation and deployment.
- Key employees from all departments within the organization to understand the methodology that their company is embarking on and the potential benefits it can offer.