Principal SMT Consultant
Joe Belmonte is a Principal Consultant with ITM Consulting (Durham, NH). Joe has been a process engineer and process engineering manager in the electronic manufacturing industry for over 25 years with experience in all aspects of electronic product assembly operations.
Past positions include Manager of Advanced Manufacturing Engineering as well as a Supplier Engineer at Bose Corporation, a Consultant at Cookson Electronics/Speedline Technologies Performance Solutions Group and Project Manger at Speedline Technologies Advanced Process Group, as well as Director of Process Technology where he managed the Application Engineering and Process Development Functions.
At ITM, Joe's area of responsibility includes working with OEM's, Contract Assemblers, and Equipment Manufacturers to solve design and assembly problems, optimize facility operations, as well as teaching basic and new technologies in private and public forums throughout the industry, world-wide. Joe's area of expertise includes:
- SMT implementation and assembly facility set-up
- Manufacturing yield improvement
- Equipment evaluation and selection
- SMT manufacturing process audits and process improvement
- On-site training for all levels of personnel
- Design for Manufacturability (DFM) specification development
- Implementation of BGA, CSP and flip-chip and miniature component assembly
- SMT process equipment benchmark testing and evaluation
- SMT product development
- Process structure and documentation development
- Process design
- Lead free assembly
- Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Quality Systems Review (QSR)
- Process layout and installation
- Process optimization
- Pin in Paste Process
- New Product Introduction (NPI)
- Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing
- Manufacturing Systems Assessment
Joe is well-known throughout Asia and SE Asia for both his process work and teaching engagements. Joe has written papers for and made technical presentation at numerous industry trade shows and professional society meetings including Nepcon West, Nepcon East, IPC/SMTA Conference, APEX, Productronica, IPC Singapore Lead Free Conference, Mexitronica, and numerous SMTA Chapter meetings.
Joe is the co-holder of the United States Patent (US Patent Number 6,572,702) for High Speed Electronic Systems and Methods.
Joe has been a senior member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) for over 20 years. He served as a member of the Electronic Manufacturing Association of SME Board of Advisors and was the chairman of the EM/SME board of advisors in 1996 and 2002.
He was a member of the Motorola Corporate TOPS (Technical Operations) Council. He has also authored a technical column for Circuit Assembly Magazine. Joe has been a member of the Surface Mount Technology Association since 1985 and currently serves as a member of the SMTA Board of Directors.